Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623
1863 J. & T Savin are recorded as lime works at Llynclys.. Source Kelly's 1863
The quarries at Porthywaen and Llanymynech suffered a shortage of wagons due to the Cambrian Railways being unable to supply the required quantity.
Savin and Company hired fifty wagons for a brief period from the PS and NWR. The Cambrian demanded the right to inspect these wagons to see if they were fit to run on the Cambrian line.
1871 Savin and Company were negotiating with the PS and NWR to hire more wagons. One of the conditions of hire was that the quarry company used the PS and NWR line between Llanymynech and Shrewsbury to carry their output to the Midlands. Protest was made to the Cambrian company about failure to do the shunting of wagons into the quarry as requested or no shunting being made at all, this might have had a bearing on the tracks condition. This also might have had a bearing on the derailment of a Cambrian engine due to the poor state of line. The Cambrian Railways requested that improvements be made.
1891 Savin & Company Ltd. (F.Dunford manager) lime burners and limestone quarry owners. Source Kelly's 1891
1863 Thomas Savin opened a railway line to the coal pits at Coed-Y-Go Morda.This line closed 1869 total length 2 miles
1896 Savin and Company had by now absorbed small quarry companies or they were closed down.
List of engines some of which Savin obtained.note no 36 Plasfynnon which was used on the Coed y Go branch line.
Plas Ffynnon in Middleton Road, Oswestry was purchased and rebuilt by Thomas Savin . He lived here with his wife and children and even named one of his steam engines(see no 43 above), after the house.
Photo of Savins engine "Plasfynnon"by the water tank at Kerry in Mid Wales.
1875 map showing Plasfynnon.
Thomas Savins house and grounds taken off the 1875 500 series map of Oswestry. There were numerous large Urns on plinths(Vases on the map) around the grounds. This would have been a very nice house and grounds at this time, unfortunately the grounds have now been built upon with a modern housing estate and named Biffen Road. (Surely it could have been called Savin Close)
Source Ken Owen
Brass plaque in The Guildhall, Oswestry, showing the Mayors of Oswerstry since 1835. This shows Thomas Savin as Mayor in 1863.