OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 95308


Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Ken Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE

Porthywaen School


1839. Opening of Porthywaen School for 100 children with the help of donations from two local church congregations.

1894 Plans are discussed for a School House at Porthywaen.

1901 Runaway horse attached to a wagon damaged the school wall at Porthywaen. The contractors agreed to the repairs to the wall.

1984 Porthywaen School closed,land leased from the Earl of Powys for 99 years at a rate of 2s and 6 pence.

500 page school log book for Porthywaen school from 1873 to 1901 giving a day to day record of school life.
Source Ken Owen.




Porthywaen School 1921.
Source Mr.R.Lloyd.

.Recent photo of Porthywaen School(now a private residence) taken from the railway trackbed at the rear of the property. Source Ken Owen.







Side view of the former school.
Source Ken Owen.




© 2024 Oswestry Borderland Heritage | New material added and updated October 2023 | Hosted by Weboriel