Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Company Reg. No. 6905623
Porthywaen Area Lime Kilns
Lime Kilns operated in the Porthywaen area. Some of the main kilns listed as follows
Chalk Hill kilns operation Pre 1862 ??? Trading as Porthywaen Lime & Fluxingstone Works owner Mrs Williams.
Dolgoch kilns operation Pre 1897 leased to The Porthywaen Lime Company Ltd. by W Kenyon, Pradoe.
The Llynclys Lime Works Ltd.
Builders & Scabby Reds quarry kilns operation Pre 1924
1901 map showing a tramway leading down from Williams quarry to a bank of Lime Kilns near to the A495 road.
1880s photo of the limekilns below Williams Quarry
One of the bank of Lime Kilns showing lime still on the inside of the brickwork and two fireplaces at the back.
Source Ken Owen..
Photo of part of the bank of 8 lime kilns alongside the long incline running up from behind the Lime Kiln pub.
Source Ken Owen.
Front of a 4 page document of the Profit & Loss Account and balance sheet of the Llynclys Lime Co for the 18months ending 31st December 1914. This document was produced by the firms accountants J. Bretherston of 8 North John Street, Liverpool.on 14th April 1915.