OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 23628

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Williams Quarry Porthywaen.


1876 May Mrs Williams signed a lease for the Porthywaen Lime and Fluxing-stone Works from the Earl of Powys for 21 years at a minimum rent of 100 per year.

Two quarries are open for getting stone one called the Chalk Hill quarry and the other Lower quarry both are capitally situated for working and getting stone to both kilns and railway.

Three large kilns are at Chalk Hill in good working order and a further three larger kilns near the other quarry

1879 Mrs Williams had died..







1901 map showing Williams' Quarry with a tramway leading down from the quarry to a set of Lime Kilns near to the main A495 road.



1926 map showing how Williams Quarry had developed with a large number of tramlines leading from the quarry










1880 photo showing the lime kilns below Williams Quarry taken from the other side of the Tanat Valley
© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel