OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 30688

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Llanfyllin Branch Line


1860 October 13th Town meeting in Llanfyllin to discuss opening a railway from Llanfyllin to Oswestry
1861 May 17th The Oswestry and Newtown Railway(Llanfyllin and Kerry) Branch Act Passed.
1861 September 20th The sod-cutting ceremony
1863 July 17th Officially opened for traffic
1864 July Railway absorbed by the Cambrian Railways Company.
1866 January Llanfechain Station opened
1866 February Bryngwyn Station opened
1922 March 25th Cambrian Railways Company absorbed by the Great Western Railway Comany.
1938 April 11th Carreghofa Halt opened.
1948 January 1st Railway nationalised.

1876 map of Llanymynech showing the railway tracks.

Source Ken Owen

1901 map showing the railway tracks around Llanymynech. Note the original track in front of the rock sidings has been cut and dismantled and a spur has been added to the Nantmawr branch line to join the original track to Llanfyllin.

Source Ken Owen

Photo taken of the old Rock siding looking towards the Hoffman Kiln and chimney. The photographer would have been standing on the east side of the canal bridge not far from the spur off the main Cambrian line (See above 1901 map)

Nice photo of Llanymynech station

Source Branch Lines Around Oswestry by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith

Lovely photo of Carreghofa Halt with the double bridge carrying the road and the canal in the background.

Source Ken Owen

Excellent photo taken from the canal towpath looking up the Llanfyllin branch line showing the fork left for Llanfyllin and right for Nantmawr. Note the signal box in the fork. Date unknown.

Source Ken Owen

Lovely shot looking east from Nantmawr Junction with Carreghofa Halt in the background.

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens

Nice photo of Carreghofa Halt taken from the road bridge. The halt sign is preserved in the Cambrian Railway Museum in Oswestry.

Source Ken Owen

Excellent view from the train of Llansantffraid station looking west. Note the station sign which the auther knows is preserved and in the basement of a house. Negotiations are ongoing to recover the sign (Nov 2017)

Source Ken Owen

Fine photo of the station in the early 1900. Note the spelling of Llansaintffraid which later became Llansantffraid as in the above photo.

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens

Photo of Llansantffraid station 27th July 1963. The arrival of the 8.23am school train from Oswestry.

Source C.C.Green

Plan of the railway at Llansantffraid.

Source Ken Owen

View from the platform looking west showing the second signal box (see plan above)

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens

Great photo taken from the train looking west at the back of the railway cottages and the old mill (Now Wynnstay Farmers mill)

Source Ken Owen.

Nice photo of the east level crossing at Llansantffraid prior to the river Vyrnwy bridge. Note the Toll Cottage on the left and the small signal box on the right(No 6 on plan above) which had been salvaged and stored at the Cambrian Railway Museum yard at Oswestry but sadly was recently destoyed in an arson attack.

Source Ken Owen

Another fine view of the level crossing looking from the river bridge towards Llansantffraid.

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens.

Tom Lunt, the guard on the last day of operation on the Llanfyllin branch at Llansantffraid, dated January 1965

Source Ken Owen

1949 map showing the railway through Llansantffraid.

Source Ken Owen

Llanfechain Station was approved at a Cambrian Railways Board meeting on 12th October 1864 where it was agreed to spend 1,866.17.9d on the building of the station and other relevant works. The station was opened in January 1866. Nice photo of Llanfechain station. Date not known. This station was where Ken Owen's mother met his father on the railway in the 1940's.

Source Ken Owen

Anther photo of Llanfechain station looking east from the road bridge.

Source Ken Owen

1901 map showing the village of Llanfechain with the railway station just outside the village

Source Ken Owen

Jan 1965 photo of Ken Owen (then 16years old)
standing under the Llanfechain sign on the day before Beechings closure of the railway. The photographer was his dad (Jim Owen) who met his Mum while driving the steam engine through this station. (Ahhhh)

Source Ken Owen

The Cambrian Railways board meeting on 12th October 1864 agreed to spend 145.6.2d on building Bryngwyn Halt and relevant works. This halt opened in February 1866. Another good photo from the train in September 1956.

Source R.M.Casserley.

1901 map showing the Bryngwyn Halt.

Source Ken Owen

1964 view looking east towards Llanymynech

Nice photo of Llanfyllin Station

1939 photo of Llanfyllin. Note the camping coach (GWR) with CAMPCOACH) on the side of it

Source Branch Lines Around Oswestry (Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith)

Nice view of Llanfyllin sidings. Date not known.

Source Ken Owen

Train from Oswestry arriving in Llanfyllin. The driver/fireman could be my dad

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens

Llanfyllin train leaving Oswestry station, this building was demolished because Tesco said they were interested in coming to Oswestry (Official vandalism). Good shot of some of the enamel signs on the side of the station building. Date not known.

Source Ken Owen

Another fine view of the end of the line at Llanfyllin Satation dated May 14th 1958.

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens.

Advert of the times of the train times of the excursions to Borth and Aberystwyth .Dated May
3rd 1869.

Source Mishaps on the Cambrian Railway by Elwyn V. Jones

Thomas Savins grand hotel at Borth which was the destination of an excursion train to leave Llanfyllin on the official opening of the railway on Friday 17th July 1863. 600 passengers left Llanfyllin, Llansaintffraid, and Llanymynech for the trip in 23 coaches leaving Llanfyllin at 10.45am and returning at 5.30pm.

Source The Llanfyllin Railway by Lewis Cozens


© 2018 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel