OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 25902

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Cambrian Railways


Cambrian Railways Company.

Cutting of the first sods in a field in Oswestry 4th September 1862.

1864 July the Cambrian Railways Company was formed from an amalgame of other railway companies.

1901 16th November the Cambrian Railways Company signed an agreement with Mr.John Richards to construct a new siding serving Dolgoth quarry.


1911 An agreement between The Cambrian Railways Company and the Porthywaen Lime Company Ltd for working sidings at Porthywaen. Date April 1st.

1921 The Cambrian Railways took over the TVLR which was in receivership Date March 1921.

1922 Cambrian Railways Company was taken over by GWR until 1948 when the branch became part of British Railways.

Thomas Savin - the railway entrepeneur who with David Davies, John Ward and George Owen were instrumental in the construction of the various small railways that became the Cambrian Railways.

Source Ken Owen

Fine image of David Davies.

Source The Story of the Cambrian by C.P.Gasquoine

Good photo of George Owen, railway engineer who worked with Thomas Savin. His house was called Plas Issa in Salop Road and is now a vets..

Source Ken Owen

Fine photo of John Ward, Thomas Savins brother-in-law who assisted Savin with the building of many of the fine buildings on the Cambrian including Oswestry station and the railway works.

Source Ken Owen

Fine image of Benjamin Piercy. Engineer involved with the Aberystwyth to Pwllelli line and the fine hotel at Aberystwyth.

Source C.P.Gascquoin and Ken Owen

Interesting advertising leaflet for the "Cutting of the first sod" ceremony of the Cambrian Railway in the field where Oswestry Station is now. The ceremony was dated Thursday 4th September 1862 and was conducted with much pomp and ceremony.

Source Ken Owen

1875 map showing the extent of the rail network in and around the Oswestry stations. Note the two stations Cambrian and the Great Western on the area that is now occupied by Morrisons Supermarket.

Source Wilf Jones

Extent of the Cambrian Railway in 1866 under Thomas Savin

Source Ken Owen

1st page of a ledger dating between 1885 and 1890 showing tonnage of stone leaving quarry at Porthywaen in trucks to various locations on the Cambrian Railway and down the tramways to the Montgomery Canal. This ledger is believed to have been used by Thomas Savin & Co in his quarry at Porthywaen.

Source Ron Hughes





1899 Agreement between The Cambrian Railways Company and the Sweeney Blue Brick and Terra Cotta Company Ltd for a railway line from Weston Wharf to the Blue Brick Company at Sweeney.



Ref Ron Hughes











Interesting document just come to light (Sept 2016) 7 page document on the statement of accounts dated 30th June 1899.

Source Ken Owen

Page 3 of the above statement of accounts.

Source Ken Owen

Interesting letter from the Cambrian Railway to the solicitors acting for the Tanat Valley Railway advising then on the tenders who are bidding to build the stations up the Tanat Valley Line, dated 29th September 1904.

Source Mr Johnson.

Nice photo of an early Cambrian 4 wheel coach location belied to be on the Cambrian line at Porthywaen.

Source Ken Owen

Good photo of Oswestry railway works which was built by Thomas Savin and John Ward on land which Savin had purchased.(Shelf Bank.)

Source Cambrian Railways by Rex Christiansen

Nice photo of Cambrian engine "Seaham" in Oswestry yard . Date probably early 1900's. Note the grain shed in the background which is now the Cambrian Railways Museum.

Source Ken Owen

Nice advert dated 1914 advertising holidays to Wales from Oswestry on the Cambrian Railway line.


Source Rex Christiansen.





Photo of Oswestry engine shed in 1965

Photo taken 1965 outside Oswestry shed with engine driver Jim Owen with myself.

Source Kenton Owen

Fireman Jim Owen with Driver on the Royal Train 23rd July 1958 somewhere on the Gobowen Branch.

Source Kenton Owen.

Photo of Jim Owen with an engine on the3 track at the back of the Railway Works near to Shelf Bank Date late 1950

Source Ken Owen

Letter dated 28th July 1958 from the British Transport Commission in London thanking Fireman Jim Owen for his service on the Royal Train on the Gobowen Branch transporting H.R.H. Prince Philip. For his service Jim Owen received a gratuarty of 5 shillings.

Source Kenton Owen





October 1964 Showing a busy Oswestry station




Another view towards Oswestry Station from the direction of Gobowen/Whitchurch.





Classic photo of the Cambrian Railway Headquarters building (Oswestry Station).





1960 view at the rear of Oswestry Station taken from Coney Green crossing. Note the Railway Works in the background. This area is now a Village Green.



Nice photo of a horse drawn parcel van built in the Railway Works in 1902.

Interesting photo taken just after the Abermule train disaster killing 17 people and injuring 36. Photo dated 26th January 1921..

Source Ken Owen

Early photo (Believed 1906) of Cambrian Railways Motor Bus (one of 2) which was operating in the Pwhelli area and which had caught fire, been brought to Oswestry Works to be repaired, and this photo is of the carriage having been taken off its chassis, placed on a trolley and being wheeled around the Works to the relevant workshop for repair.

Excellent photo of the Cambrian Railway Motor Bus No 1 taken before the fire which lead to it being taken to Oswestry Railway Works for repair. The bus was one of two Orion buses to provide a service between Pwllheli and Nefyn

Another fine photo of Cambrian Railways Motor bus No 1






Nice photo of inside the foundrey of the railway works. Date unknown

Interesting photo of the machine shop inside the Railway Works.

Opening and closure dates of the various railways in the region.

© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel