OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 25902

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Morda Village


1863: Whitridge & Company Paper Manufacturers, Morda Paper Mill.
Source: Kelly's 1863.









Morda House, otherwise known as The House of Industry or Oswestry Workhouse. It was destroyed by fire in 1982







A charabanc trip from Morda House, probably in the1950s






Matron Mrs Bailey and staff at Morda House in 1919







Staff and residents at Morda House, date unknown



Photo of the Drill pub now called The Miners Arms. This would have been a very busy pub, with the miners finishing their shift and then relaxing at the end of the day.

Source: Ken Owen

Picture of the chapel situated at the side of Morda House






Children pictured at Christmas at the House of Industry


This photo is of the former Hen & Chickens pub. It was where the miners collected their wages. Quite often their wives would wait outside to stop them spending all their earnings inside. The building is now a private house.

Source: Ken Owen.

Newspaper cutting of a fatal accident in Morda dated September 14th 1871, involving a young man killed by a horse.

Source Oswestry Advertizer.
© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel