OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 24734

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Llwynymapsis Collieries (Roberts Pit, Red Pit, and Pompey Pit)


One of the pits situated south of Llwynymapsis was dug by Edward Croxon & Co in 1833/1834. Richard Croxon was living at Llwynymapsis in 1833 and he was the estate manager to Sir Watkin. In 1835 the pit was leased from the owner of the estate Mr G. Dorsett Owen. Prior to 1789 Llwynymapsis was in the possession of a family called Phipps, the last representative of which, Thomas Phipps, a solicitor was, with his son hung in September 1789 for forgery and according to one authority they were buried in Morton Churchyard. Another statement however claims that in 1825 Dr M.E Dovaston of Llanymynech had in his surgery a skeleton reputed to be that of the elder Phipps. A daughter of Thomas Phipps married Samuel Jones and after Phipps,s execution they took up residence at Llwynymapsis, their daughter Jane Emma Jones married George Dorsett Owen, mayor of Oswestry in 1838 and father of Mr Charles Whitley Owen, the brewer.





1875 map showing Llwynymapsis colliery(Red Pit) to the right of Llwynymapsis Farm.
Map ref.1939. Roberts Pit was located in the woodland south of Llwynymapsis Farm to the right of the road. .

Source Wilf Jones




Tracing of a document held at Shropshire Record Office of "Robert Clays Coal Workings" showing the underground workings from Roberts Pit (coloured in blue) Not the depth given of the Red Pit as 76 Yards deep. The depth of the coal seam in the field to the south of Llwynymapsis is 200 yards deep. Note also Pompey Pit above the fork in the road where the former Hen and Chickens pub was situated.

Source Gordon Hillier.






1875 500 series map of Oswestry showing English Walls and Dorsett Owens Brewery.

Source Wilf Jones




1909 photo looking across the Smithfield showing smoke coming out of the chimney of the Dorsett-Owen Brewery on the left of the photo.

Source Ken Owen





Original Dorsett-Owen Brewery (Oswestry) beer bottle.

Source Ken Owen.






Side view of the Dorsett-Owen Brewery bottle showing the emblem.

Source Ken Owen.





Brass plaque in The Guildhall Oswestry showing the Mayors of Oswestry since 1835. George Dorsett-Owen was mayor in 1838.






Article from the Border Counties Advertizer, dated 24th May 1905, showing the death of the head of the Dorsett Owen Brewery
© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel