OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 25902

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Llanyblodwel Village


1710 Llanyblodwel river stone bridge was built replacing an earlier bridge constructed around 1684.

1901 The cattle pound in Llanyblodwel was in use and the local post office was nearby on the road leading down into the village.



1812 Llanyblodwel Church vicar James Donne restored the church and seating arrangement.

1921 The Institute Hall between Llanyblodwel and Porthywaen village opened. A wooden shed taken from Llynclys hill was removed and errected on the wharf near the Nuttree Farm Porthywaen..

1922 Llanyblodwel choral society.

Mr William Lloyd ran the Horseshoe Inn and was the village blacksmith which operated from the cottage opposite the pub. Photo believed to be dated 1892.

Source Mrs Green.




1949 map showing Llanyblodwel village. Cattle pound in the fork in the road, leading to the village.. Smithy opposite the pub. Note the long footpath from the vicarage to the church.

Photo taken about 1900 showing horses outside the blacksmiths opposite the Horseshoe pub

Source Mrs Green.





Llanyblodwel station just after being built possibly 1904. Note the run round loop to the right

Llanyblodwel Station platform as it is today. Note the beehive at the far end of the platform.

Source Ken Owen.




18th September 1936 photo of GWR 0-6-0T number 819 leaving Llanyblodwel station heading for Llynclys Junction.

The Horseshoe pub today. The building dates back to the early 15th Century .

Source Ken Owen



Llanyblodwel Bridge is a fine structure of dressed red sandstone, consisting of three arches. The centre span is of 40 feet and is a four-centred arch which gives it a peaked, Gothic appearance. This, combined with the shallow depth of spandrel and parapet gives an impression of airy elegance. The two side arches of 19 feet each are segmental. As the width of the bridge is but 10 feet, the cutwaters are continued up to parapet level to provide pedestrian refuges. The lack of width results inevitably in frequent damage to the parapets from modern traffic. There is no record of the architect responsible for the design. As the bridge lies in what was the Hundred of Oswestry, it was built at the expense of that town in 1710 as can be seen by the date stone. Llanyblodwel Bridge received major repairs in 1866. In 1820 Thomas Telford received a fee and travelling expenses for visiting the bridge and preparing a scheme for improving the course of the River Tanat, in the vicinity, on behalf of the Oswestry Corporation. This did not involve the bridge structure.

Former school and headmasters house, now both private dwellings, school on the right and the headmasters house on the left..

Source Ken Owen.

Llanyblodwel school as it is today, a private dwelling which is up for sale.

Source Ken Owen.

Cattle Pound situated at the junction leading into Llanyblodwel. See map above. At one time the building had a slate roof and wooden door.

Source Ken Owen
© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel